A Rare Case of Chondromyxoid Fibroma of Calcaneum: A Case Report
Vol. 11 | Issue 1 | January-February 2023 | Page: 27-29 | Shekar Mudramaiah, Pavith Janardhan T, Ajay Krishna
Authors: Shekar Mudramaiah , Pavith Janardhan T , Ajay Krishna 
 Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Trauma & Orthopaedics, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Pavith Janardhan T
Fellow in Arthroplasty, Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Trauma & Orthopaedics, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
Chondromyxoid fibroma is a rare benign Primary tumour occurring in the calcaneum. We report a case of a 23-year-old woman with 3 months history of sudden onset right heel pain with no history of trauma. Which was exacerbated by movement such as walking and standing. A radiographic examination of the right foot and ankle revealed a lesion in the posterior part of the calcaneum. The calcaneum was further evaluated using an MRI scan which revealed a lytic lesion with clearly defined borders. The lesion was treated with curettage, iliac bone grafting, and cementing. Three months after surgery, the graft was consolidated with bone cement in place. There was no sign of recurrence at the one-year follow-up, and the patient had adequate ankle range of motion. Even though the tumour is rare, there is a need for physicians to recognize its radiological features and offer appropriate treatment options.
Keywords: Chondromyxoid fibroma, Lytic lesion, Benign primary tumour
1. Dorfman HD, Czerniak B. Bone tumors. Missouri: Mosby; 1998. p. 321–31
2. Wu CT, Inwards CY, O’Laughlin S, et al. Chondromyxoid fibroma of bone: a clinicopathologic review of 278 cases. Hum Pathol 1998;29(5):438-46
3. Robert K, Heck. Benign/aggressive tumors of bone. Campbell’s Operative Orthopaedics. Canale ST, Beatty JH (editors): Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia. 2013; 1: 894
4. Jaffe HL, Lichtenstein L. Chondromyxoid fibroma of bone; a distinctive benign tumor likely to be mistaken especially for chondrosarcoma. Arch Pathol (Chic). 1948; 541-551.
5. Dürr H R, Lienemann A, Nerlich A, Stumpenhausen B, Refior HJ: Chondromyxoid fibroma of bone. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2000; 120(1-2):42-7
6. Ebrahimzadeh MH, Dallouei SR. Chondromyxoid fibroma of the calcaneus. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2007; 97: 223-224.
7. Oommen AT, Madhuri V, Walter NM. Benign tumors and tumor-like lesions of the calcaneum: a study of 12 cases. Indian J Cancer. 2009; 46: 234-236.
8. Wilson AJ, Kyriakos M, Ackerman LV. Chondromyxoid fibroma: radiographic appearance in 38 cases and in a review of the literature. Radiology. 1991; 179: 513-518.
9. Damle RP, Suryawanshi KH, Dravid NV, et al. Chondromyxoid fibroma of bone. JCR. 2013; 3: 228-231.
10. Zillmer DA, Dorfman HD. Chondromyxoid fibroma of bone: thirty-six cases with clinicopathologic correlation. Hum Pathol. 1989; 20: 952-964.
11. Chondromyxoid fibroma of the calcaneus: a case report and literature review. Azami MA, Lahbali O, El alami I, et al. SM J Orthop. 2017;3:1047.
12. Chondromyxoid fibroma of the calcaneus: two case reports and literature review. Roberts EJ, Meier MJ, Hild G, Masadeh S, Hardy M, Bakotic BW. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2013;52:643–649.
|How to Cite this article: Mudramaiah S, Janardhan JT, Krishna A A Rare | Case of Chondromyxoid Fibroma of Calcaneum: A Case Report | Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association | January-February 2023; 11(1): 27-29 | https://doi.org/10.13107/jkoa.2023.v11i01.062|
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!