Volume 7 | Issue 2 | May – August 2019 | Page: 27-30 | Mohan Thadi, Prajwal P. Mane, Vijith Vijay
Authors: Mohan Thadi  , Prajwal P. Mane  , Vijith Vijay .
 Department Of Orthopaedics, Amrita Institute Of Medical Sciences, Kochi, Kerla,India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Prajwal P. Mane,
Arthroplasty Fellow, Department Of Orthopaedics,
Amrita Institute Of Medical Sciences, Kochi, Kerla, India.
Acute arterial occlusion, a rare complication after total knee arthroplasty (TKA), reportedly has an incidence of 0.03–0.17% which if undetected can result in limb loss. Cases of acute arterial occlusion following TKA reported in the literature have been mainly attributed to the iatrogenic popliteal artery injury. It is important to understand the mechanism of occlusion as it can lead to limb-threatening ischemia. The use of tourniquet and manipulation of the knee joint in an elderly with arteriosclerosis may induce disruption of an atheromatous plaque that could lead to arterial occlusion. Here, we report a rare case of arterial occlusion ofthe femoral artery post-TKA.
Keywords: atherosclerosis, total knee arthroplasty, acute limb ischaemia post knee replacement, femoral vessel thrombus
1. Peyron JG. Osteoarthritis. The epidemiologic viewpoint. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1986;213:13-9.
2. Inomata K, Sekiya I, Otabe K, Nakamura T, Horie M, Koga H, et al. Acute arterial occlusion after total knee arthroplasty: A case report. Clin Case Rep 2017;5:1376-80.
3. Khan S, Salam H, Kessels J. Popliteal artery occlusion after total knee replacement: A vascular team approach for limb salvage. Vasc Dis Manage 2014;11:E200-5.
4. Cho MR, Kim KT, Choi WK. Arterial occlusion after total knee arthroplasty despite minimal invasive technique in aneurysm at popliteal artery: Case report. Medicine (Baltimore) 2018;97:e12719.
5. He R, Yang L. Acute arterial occlusion in the midpiece of femoral artery following total knee arthroplasty: Report of one case. Chin J Traumatol 2016;19:116-8.
6. Mathew A, Abraham BJ, Fischer L, Punnoose E. Popliteal artery thrombosis following total knee arthroplasty managed successfully with percutaneous intervention. BMJ Case Rep 2014;2014:2014206936.
7. Bayne CO, Bayne O, Peterson M, Cain E. Acute arterial thrombosis after bilateral total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2008;23:1239.e1-6.
8. Tsujimoto R, Matsumoto T, Takayama K, Kawakami Y, Kamimura M, Matsushita T, et al. Acute popliteal artery occlusion after revision total knee arthroplasty. Case Rep Orthop 2015;2015:672164.
9. Chikkanna JK, Sampath D, Reddy V, Motkuru V. Popliteal artery thrombosis after total knee replacement: An unusual complication. J Clin Diagn Res 2015;9:RJ01-2.
10. Matziolis G, Perka C, Labs K. Acute arterial occlusion after total knee arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2004;124:134-6.
11. Junior RF, Amatuzzi MM, Leao PP, Leme LE. Arterial thrombosis in total knee arthroplasty: A literature review. Acta Ortop Bras 2005;13:209-12.
12. Raju IT. Acute limb ischemia secondary to popliteal artery thrombosis following total knee arthroplasty limb salvage by endovascular therapy. Indian J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2018;5:115-8.
|How to Cite this article: Thadi M, Mane P P, Vijay V. Femoral Arterial Thrombosis Post Total Knee Arthroplasty – A Rare but Dreaded Complication. Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association May- Aug 2019; 7(2): 27-30.|