Limb Salvage in Extra Skeletal Osteosarcoma of Shoulder Region: A Case Report and Review of Literature
Vol. 9 | Issue 1 | January-February 2021 | Page: 52-55 | Atmananda Hegde, Harish Eshwarappa, Amanda Christina Pinto, Hema Kini, Prakash Saxena , Chethan Shetty
Authors: Atmananda Hegde , Harish Eshwarappa , Amanda Christina Pinto , Hema Kini , P U, Prakash Saxena , Chethan Shetty 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka, India.
 Department of Oncology, Kasturba Medical College Hospital, Ambedkar circle, Mangalore, Karnataka, India.
 Department of Pathology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka, India.
 Department of Radiation Oncology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Atmananda Hegde,
Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal Academy of Higher Education Karnataka, India.
Case Report: Here we present a very rare case of extraskeletal osteosarcoma (ESOS) in a young male abutting the scapula who underwent a limb salvaging reconstructive therapy after course of neoadjuvant chemotherapy.
Conclusion: ESOS comprises 2–5% of all osteosarcomas and less than 1% of all soft tissue sarcomas. These tumors need to be differentiated from post-traumatic myositis ossificans, soft tissue sacromas and surface osteosarcomas. The acceptable treatment for ESOS is neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by wide resection of the tumour. In our case patient had good function of elbow and wrist with no local recurrence or metastasis at one year follow up.
Keywords: Extraskeletal osteosarcoma; Limb salvage.
1. Wurlitzer F, Ayala L, Romsdahl M. Extraosseous osteogenic sarcoma. Arch Surg. 1972; 105(5):691–5.
2. Alpert LI, Abaci IF, Werthamer S. Radiation induced extraskeletal osteosarcoma. Cancer. 1973; 31(6):1359–63.
3. Sordillo PP, Hajdu SI, Magill GB, Golbey RB. Extraosseous osteogenic sarcoma; A review of 48 patients. Cancer. 1983; 51(4):727–34.
4. Chung EB, Enzinger FM. Extraskeletal osteosarcoma. Cancer. 1987; 60(5):1132–42.
5. Varma DGK, Ayala AG, et al. MRI of Extraskeletal Osteosarcoma. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography. 1993; 17(3):414–417.
6. Roller, L. A., Chebib, I., Bredella, M. A. & Chang, C. Y. Clinical, radiological, and pathological features of extraskeletal osteosarcoma. Skeletal Radiol. 2018; 47; 1213–1220.
7. Das Gupta, T. K., Hajdu, S. I. & Foote, F. W. Jr. Extraosseous osteogenic sarcoma. Ann Surg. 1968; 168:1011–1022.
8. Jacob, R., Abraham, E., Jyothirmayi, R. & Nair, M. K. Extraskeletal osteosarcoma of the orbit. Sarcoma.1998; 2:121–124.
9. Vasiliev, N. V. et al. Extraskeletal osteosarcoma: nosologocal diversity, morphology, differential diagnosis, and features of metastasis. Arkh Patol. 2018; 80: 59–64.
10. Muneeb MD, Baig MAN. Recurrent, large, extraskeletal osteosarcoma at the back. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2019; 29(2): S138-S140.
11. Huvos AG. Juxtacortical osteogenic sarcoma. In: Bone tumors: diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders, 1991: 157-178.
12. Mirra J. Parosteal tumors. In: Mirra J, editor. Bone tumors: clinical, radiologic, and pathologic correlations. Philadelphia, Pa: Lea & Febiger; 1989. pp. 1587–1753.
13. Mavrogenis AF, Papagelopoulos PJ. Soft Tissue Tumors: Extraskeletal Osteosarcoma. Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol. 2014; 18(6):443-446.
14. Luetke, A., Meyers, P. A., Lewis, I. & Juergens, H. Osteosarcoma treatment – where do we stand? A state of the art review. Cancer Treat Rev.2014 ;40: 523–532.
15. Bramwell, V. H., Anderson, D. & Charette, M. L. Doxorubicin-based chemotherapy for the palliative treatment of adult patients with locally advanced or metastatic soft-tissue sarcoma: a meta-analysis and clinical practice guideline. Sarcoma. 2000; 4: 103–112.
16. Goldstein-Jackson, S. Y. et al. Extraskeletal osteosarcoma has a favourable prognosis when treated like conventional osteosarcoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2005;131: 520–526.
17. Torigoe, T., Yazawa, Y., Takagi, T., Terakado, A. & Kurosawa, H. Extraskeletal osteosarcoma in Japan: multiinstitutional study of 20 patients from the Japanese Musculoskeletal Oncology Group. J Orthop Sci. 2007; 12: 424–429.
18. Choi LE, Healey JH, Kuk D, Brennan MF. Analysis of outcomes in extraskeletal osteosarcoma: a review of fifty-three cases. The Journal of Bone and Joint surgery. American Volume. 2014 Jan; 96; 1:e2.
19. Lukas M. Nystrom, MD, Nickolas B. Reimer, MD, John D. Reith, MD, Mark T. Scarborough, MD, and C. Parker Gibbs, Jr., MD. The Treatment and outcomes of extraskeletal osteosarcoma: Institutional experience and review of the literature. Iowa Orthop J. 2016; 36: 98–103.
20. Liston R. Ossified aneurysmal tumor of the subscapular artery. Edinb Med J. 1820; 16: 66–70.
21. Pescador D, Blanco J, Corchado C, et al. Chondrosarcoma of the scapula secondary to radiodermatitis. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2012; 3: 134–136.
22. Wittig JC, Bickels J, Wodajo F, Kellar‐Graney KL, Malawer MM. Constrained total scapula reconstruction after resection of a high‐grade sarcoma. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002; 397: 143–155.
23. Enneking WF, Dunham W, Gebhardt MC, Malawar M, Pritchard DJ. A system for the functional evaluation of reconstructive procedures after surgical treatment of tumors of the musculoskeletal system. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993; 286: 241–246.
|How to Cite this article: Hegde A, Eshwarappa H, Pinto AC, Kini H, Saxena PUP, Shetty C | Limb Salvage in Extra Skeletal Osteosarcoma of Shoulder Region- A Case Report and Review of Literature| Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association | January-February 2021; 9(1): 52-55.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!