Volume 7 | Issue 2 | May – August 2019 | Page: 38-42 | Pramod Chinder, Suresh Rao, Naveen Joseph Mathai, Manjeshwar Shrinath Baliga
Authors: Pramod Chinder , Suresh Rao , Naveen Joseph Mathai , Manjeshwar Shrinath Baliga .
 Department of Ortho-Oncology, Mangalore Institute of Oncology, Mangalore, Karnataka India,
 Department of Radiation Oncology, Mangalore Institute of Oncology, Mangalore, Karnataka India,
 Department of Trauma andOrthopaedics, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Suresh Rao,
Department of Radiation oncology,
Mangalore institute of Oncology, Mangalore
Giant cell tumor of the bone (GCTB) is a benign but locally aggressive tumor which has a predilection for the epiphyseo-metaphyseal region of long bones. However, the occurrence of GCT in surgically inaccessible locations such as the vertebrae and pelvis poses a daunting challenge. Receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa-B (RANK)-ligand binder, denosumab is a fully human monoclonal antibody which inhibits cells which expresses RANK ligand which is expressed in GCT. We report an unusual case report of recurrent GCT arising from the sacrum in a young man treated with denosumab. He underwent administration of denosumab pre-operatively and post-operatively whereby there was remission of the tumor. As a measure of “success,” we indicate the social functioning-36 and WHO questionnaire which indicate a good quality of life.
Keywords: Giant cell tumor of the bone, denosumab, sacrum.
1. Balke M, Schremper L, Gebert C, Ahrens H, Streitbuerger A, Koehler G, et al. Giant cell tumor of bone: Treatment and outcome of 214 cases. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2008;134:969-78.
2. Gaston CL, Puls F, Grimer RJ. The dilemma of denosumab: Salvage of a femoral head giant cell tumour. Int J Surg Case Rep 2014;5:783-6.
3. Gaston CL, Grimer RJ, Parry M, Stacchiotti S, Dei Tos AP, Gelderblom H, et al. Current status and unanswered questions on the use of denosumab in giant cell tumor of bone. Clin Sarcoma Res 2016;6:15.
4. Liede A, Bach BA, Stryker S, Hernandez RK, Sobocki P, Bennett B, et al. Regional variation and challenges in estimating the incidence of giant cell tumor of bone. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2014;96:1999-2007.
5. Xu SF, Adams B, Yu XC, Xu M. Denosumab and giant cell tumour of bone-a review and future management considerations. Curr Oncol 2013;20:e442-7.
6. Dufresne A, Derbel O, Cassier P, Vaz G, Decouvelaere AV, Blay JY, et al. Giant-cell tumor of bone, anti-RANKL therapy. Bonekey Rep 2012;1:149.
7. Chan CM, Adler Z, Reith JD, Gibbs CP Jr. Risk factors for pulmonary metastases from giant cell tumor of bone. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2015;97:420-
8. Dominkus M, Ruggieri P, Bertoni F, Briccoli A, Picci P, Rocca M, et al. Histologically verified lung metastases in benign giant cell tumours–14 cases from a single institution. Int Orthop 2006;30:499-504.
9. Balke M, Schremper L, Gebert C, Ahrens H, Streitbuerger A, Koehler G, et al. Giant cell tumor of bone: Treatment and outcome of 214 cases. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2008;134:969-78.
10. Becker WT, Dohle J, Bernd L, Braun A, Cserhati M, Enderle A, et al. Local recurrence of giant cell tumor of bone after intralesional treatment with and without adjuvant therapy. J Bone Jt Surg Am 2008;90(5):1060e7.
11. Kivioja AH, Blomqvist C, Hietaniemi K, Trovik C, Walloe A, Bauer HC, et al. Cement is recommended in intralesional surgery of giant cell tumors: A Scandinavian sarcoma group study of 294 patients followed for a median time of 5 years. Acta Orthop 2008;79:86-93.
12. Algawahmed H, Turcotte R, Farrokhyar F, Ghert M. High-speed burring with and without the use of surgical adjuvants in the intralesional management of giant cell tumor of bone: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sarcoma 2010;2010:1-5.
13. Errani C, Ruggieri P, Asenzio MA, Toscano A, Colangeli S, Rimondi E, et al. Giant cell tumor of the extremity: A review of 349 cases from a single institution. Cancer Treat Rev 2010;36:1-7.
14. Coleman RE, McCloskey EV. Bisphosphonates in oncology. Bone 2011;49:71-6.
15. Thomas D, Henshaw R, Skubitz K, Chawla S, Staddon A, Blay JY, et al. Denosumab in patients with giant-cell tumour of bone: An open-label, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 2010;11:275-80
16. World Health Organization. Quality of Life Group: WHOQOLsBREF Introduction. Administration and Scoring Field Trial Version. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1996
17. The world health organization quality of life assessment (WHOQOL): Development and general psychometric properties. Soc Sci Med 1998;46:1569
18. Ware JE Jr., Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Med Care 1992;30:473-83.
19. Heijden LV, Sande MA, Hogendoorn PC, Gelderblom H, Dijkstra PS. Neoadjuvant denosumab for extensive giant cell tumor in os ischium—a case report. Actaorthopaedica. 2015 ;86:393-5.
20. Rutkowski P, Ferrari S, Grimer RJ, Stalley PD, Dijkstra SP, PienkowskiA et al. Surgical downstaging in an open-label phase II trial of denosumab in patients with giant cell tumor of bone. Ann SurgOncol2015;22:2860-8.
21. Vaishya R, Agarwal AK, Vijay V. ‘Salvage treatment’of aggressive giant cell tumor of bones with denosumab. Cureus. 2015 Jul;7(7).
22. Borkowska A, Goryń T, Pieńkowski A, Wągrodzki M, Jagiełło-Wieczorek E, Rogala P, et al. Denosumab treatment of inoperable or locally advanced giant cell tumor of bone. Oncol Lett 2016;12:4312-8
23. Palmerini E, Chawla NS, Ferrari S, Sudan M, Picci P, Marchesi E, et al. Denosumab in advanced/unresectable giant-cell tumour of bone (GCTB): For how long? Eur J Cancer 2017;76:118-24.
|How to Cite this article: Chinder P, Rao S, Mathai N J, Shrinath Baliga M S. Recurrent Giant Cell Tumor of Sacrum Treated with Denosumab: A Case Report. Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association. May-Aug 2019; 7(2): 38-42.|