Technologies in Total Knee Arthroplasty
Vol. 11 | Issue 1 | January-February 2023 | Page: 05-12 | Ravikumar Mukartihal, Rajdeep Das, Chandan S, Vikram G K Bhat, Balakrishna Nallabolu, Sreedhish K, Bharath Krishna S, Sharan S Patil
Authors: Ravikumar Mukartihal , Rajdeep Das , Chandan S , Vikram G K Bhat , Balakrishna Nallabolu , Sreedhish K , Bharath Krishna S , Sharan S Patil 
 Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Sparsh Hospital for Advanced Surgeries, Bengaluru, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Ravikumar Mukartihal
Consultant Orthopaedic and Robotic Joint Replacement Surgeon, Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Sparsh Hospital for Advanced Surgeries, Bengaluru, India.
Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA) is a very impelling treatment for severe osteoarthritis. But, prosthesis longevity along with clinical and functional outcome of patients are intricately related to proper alignment and position of the prosthesis and how perfectly the artificial joint can mimic the native knee anatomy and kinematics. To minimize outliers and improve accuracy, precision and patients’ outcome, promising new technologies have been developed in knee arthroplasty. TKA is advancing by leaps and bounds with the advent and introduction and application of technologies in its domain. The aim of this article is to put up and brief about the technologies in TKA, their concepts, advantages, and limitations.
Keywords: Total knee arthroplasty, Knee arthroplasty, Total knee replacement, Osteoarthritis, Technology, Biomedical Technology, Robot-assisted surgery, Artificial intelligence, Augmented reality
1. Kayani B, Konan S, Ayuob A, Onochie E, Al-Jabri T, Haddad FS. Robotic technology in total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review. EFORT Open Reviews. 2019 Oct 1;4(10):611-7.
2. Berend ME, Ritter MA, Meding JB, Faris PM, Keating EM, Redelman R, Faris GW, Davis KE. The Chetranjan Ranawat Award: Tibial Component Failure Mechanisms in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (1976-2007). 2004 Nov 1;428:26-34.
3. Lewinnek GE, Lewis JL, Tarr RI, Compere CL, Zimmerman JR. Dislocations after total hip-replacement arthroplasties. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978 Mar 1;60(2):217-20.
4. Wasielewski RC, Galante JO, Leighty RM, Natarajan RN, Rosenberg AG. Wear patterns on retrieved polyethylene tibial inserts and their relationship to technical considerations during total knee arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (1976-2007). 1994 Feb 1;299:31-43.
5. Dorr LD. CORR Insights®: does robotic-assisted TKA result in better outcome scores or long-term survivorship than conventional TKA? A randomized, controlled trial. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2020 Feb;478(2):276.
6. Waddell BS, Carroll K, Jerabek S. Technology in arthroplasty: are we improving value?. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2017 Sep;10(3):378-87.
7. Batailler C, Swan J, Sappey Marinier E, Servien E, Lustig S. New technologies in knee arthroplasty: current concepts. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2020 Dec 25;10(1):47.
8. León-Muñoz VJ, Martínez-Martínez F, López-López M, Santonja- Medina F. Patient-specific instrumentation in total knee arthroplasty. Expert Review of Medical Devices. 2019 Jul 3;16(7):555-67.
9. Frye BM, Najim AA, Adams JB, Berend KR, Lombardi Jr AV. MRI is more accurate than CT for patient-specific total knee arthroplasty. The knee. 2015 Dec 1;22(6):609-12.
10. Abdel MP, Parratte S, Blanc G, Ollivier M, Pomero V, Viehweger E, Argenson JN. No benefit of patient-specific instrumentation in TKA on functional and gait outcomes: a randomized clinical trial. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®. 2014 Aug;472(8):2468-76.
11. Abane L, Anract P, Boisgard S, Descamps S, Courpied JP, Hamadouche M. A comparison of patient-specific and conventional instrumentation for total knee arthroplasty: a multicentre randomised controlled trial. The bone & joint journal. 2015 Jan;97(1):56-63.
12. Vundelinckx BJ, Bruckers L, De Mulder K, De Schepper J, Van Esbroeck G. Functional and radiographic short-term outcome evaluation of the Visionaire system, a patient-matched instrumentation system for total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2013 Jun 1;28(6):964-70.
13. Chen JY, Chin PL, Tay DK, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ. Functional outcome and quality of life after patient-specific instrumentation in total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2015 Oct 1;30(10):1724-8.
14. Bonnin MP, Schmidt A, Basiglini L, Bossard N, Dantony E. Mediolateral oversizing influences pain, function, and flexion after TKA. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2013 Oct;21(10):2314-24.
15. Mahoney OM, Kinsey T. Overhang of the femoral component in total knee arthroplasty: risk factors and clinical consequences. JBJS. 2010 May 1;92(5):1115-21.
16. Bonnin MP, Beckers L, Leon A, Chauveau J, Müller JH, Tibesku CO, Aït-Si-Selmi T. Custom total knee arthroplasty facilitates restoration of constitutional coronal alignment. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2020 Jul 17:1-2.
17. Arbab D, Reimann P, Brucker M, Bouillon B, Lüring C. Alignment in total knee arthroplasty—A comparison of patient-specific implants with the conventional technique. The Knee. 2018 Oct 1;25(5):882-7.
18. Levengood GA, Dupee J. Accuracy of coronal plane mechanical alignment in a customized, individually made total knee replacement with patient-specific instrumentation. The journal of knee surgery. 2018 Sep;31(08):792-6.
19. Schroeder L, Martin G. In vivo tibial fit and rotational analysis of a customized, patient-specific TKA versus off-the-shelf TKA. The Journal of Knee Surgery. 2019 Jun;32(06):499-505.
20. Reimann P, Brucker M, Arbab D, Lüring C. Patient satisfaction-A comparison between patient-specific implants and conventional total knee arthroplasty. Journal of Orthopaedics. 2019 May 1;16(3):273-7.
21. Schwarzkopf R, Brodsky M, Garcia GA, Gomoll AH. Surgical and functional outcomes in patients undergoing total knee replacement with patient-specific implants compared with “off-the-shelf” implants. Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine. 2015 Jun 24;3(7):2325967115590379.
22. White PB, Ranawat AS. Patient-specific total knees demonstrate a higher manipulation rate compared to “off-the-shelf implants”. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2016 Jan 1;31(1):107-11.
23. Mihalko WM, Saleh KJ, Krackow KA, Whiteside LA. Soft-tissue balancing during total knee arthroplasty in the varus knee. JAAOSJournal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2009 Dec 1;17(12):766-74.
24. Nagai K, Muratsu H, Takeoka Y, Tsubosaka M, Kuroda R, Matsumoto T. The influence of joint distraction force on the soft tissue balance using modified gap-balancing technique in posterior stabilized total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2017 Oct 1;32(10):2995-9.
25. Lee SY, Lim HC, Jang KM, Bae JH. What factors are associated with femoral component internal rotation in TKA using the gap balancing technique? Clinical Orthopaedics and RelatedResearch®. 2017 Aug;475(8):1999-2010.
26. Ferreira MC, Franciozi CE, Kubota MS, Priore RD, Ingham SJ,Abdalla RJ. Is the use of spreaders an accurate method for ligament balancing? The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2017 Jul 1;32(7):2262-7.
27. Kim SH, Lim JW, Jung HJ, Lee HJ. Influence of soft tissue balancing and distal femoral resection on flexion contracture in navigated total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2017 Nov;25(11):3501-7.
28. Heesterbeek PJ, Haffner N, Wymenga AB, Stifter J, Ritschl P. Patient-related factors influence stiffness of the soft tissue complex during intraoperative gap balancing in cruciate-retaining total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2017 Sep;25(9):2760-8.
29. Wyss TF, Schuster AJ, Münger P, Pfluger D, Wehrli U. Does total knee joint replacement with the soft tissue balancing surgical technique maintain the natural joint line? Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery. 2006 Sep;126(7):480-6.
30. Elmallah RK, Mistry JB, Cherian JJ, Chughtai M, Bhave A, Roche MW, Mont MA. Can we really “feel” a balanced total knee arthroplasty? The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2016 Sep 1;31(9):102-5.
31. Nodzo SR, Franceschini V, Della Valle AG. Intraoperative load sensing variability during cemented, posterior-stabilized total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2017 Jan 1;32(1):66-70.
32. Ghirardelli S, Bala A, Peretti G, Antonini G, Indelli PF. Intraoperative sensing technology to achieve balance in primary total knee arthroplasty: a review of the literature. JBJS reviews. 2019 Oct 1;7(10):e4.
33. Iyengar KP, Gowers BT, Jain VK, Ahluwalia RS, Botchu R, Vaishya R. Smart sensor implant technology in total knee arthroplasty. Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma. 2021 Nov 1;22:101605.
34. Gustke KA, Golladay GJ, Roche MW, Elson LC, Anderson CR. A new method for defining balance: promising short-term clinical outcomes of sensor-guided TKA. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2014 May 1;29(5):955-60.
35. Chow JC, Breslauer L. The use of intraoperative sensors significantly increases the patient-reported rate of improvement in primary total knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2017 Jul 1;40(4):e648-51.
36. Geller JA, Lakra A, Murtaugh T. The use of electronic sensor device to augment ligament balancing leads to a lower rate of arthrofibrosis after total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2017 May 1;32(5):1502-4.
37. Lee DH, Park JH, Song DI, Padhy D, Jeong WK, Han SB. Accuracy of soft tissue balancing in TKA: comparison between navigation assisted gap balancing and conventional measured resection. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2010 Mar;18(3):381- 7.
38. Rhee SJ, Kim HJ, Lee CR, Kim CW, Gwak HC, Kim JH. A comparison of long-term outcomes of computer-navigated and conventional total knee arthroplasty: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. JBJS. 2019 Oct 16;101(20):1875-85.
39. Ek ET, Dowsey MM, Tse LF, Riazi A, Love BR, Stoney JD, Choong PF. Comparison of functional and radiological outcomes after computer-assisted versus conventional total knee arthroplasty: a matched-control retrospective study. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2008 Aug;16(2):192-6.
40. Jones CW, Jerabek SA. Current role of computer navigation in total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2018 Jul 1;33(7):1989-93.
41. Budhiparama NC, Lumban-Gaol I, Ifran NN, Parratte S, Nelissen R. Does accelerometer-based navigation have any clinical benefit compared with conventional TKA? A systematic review. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 2019 Sep;477(9):2017.
42. Camarda L, D’Arienzo A, Morello S, Peri G, Valentino B, D’Arienzo M. Patient-specific instrumentation for total knee arthroplasty: a literature review. Musculoskeletal surgery. 2015 Apr;99(1):11-8.
43. Banerjee S, Cherian JJ, Elmallah RK, Pierce TP, Jauregui JJ, Mont MA. Robot-assisted total hip arthroplasty. Expert review of medical devices. 2016 Jan 2;13(1):47-56.
44. Chen X, Deng S, Sun ML, He R. Robotic arm-assisted arthroplasty: The latest developments. Chinese Journal of Traumatology. 2022 May 1;25(3):125-31.
45. Jacofsky DJ, Allen M. Robotics in arthroplasty: a comprehensive review. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2016 Oct 1;31(10):2353-63.
46. Bagaria V, Sadigale OS, Pawar PP, Bashyal RK, Achalare A, Poduval M. Robotic-assisted knee arthroplasty (RAKA): the technique, the technology and the transition. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 2020 Nov;54(6):745-56.
47. Ponzio DY, Lonner JH. Preoperative mapping in unicompartmental knee arthroplasty using computed tomography scans is associated with radiation exposure and carries a high cost. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2015 Jun 1;30(6):964-7.
48. Kayani B, Konan S, Huq SS, Tahmassebi J, Haddad FS. Robotic arm-assisted total knee arthroplasty has a learning curve of seven cases for integration into the surgical workflow but no learning curve effect for the accuracy of implant positioning. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2019 Apr;27(4):1132-41.
49. Sultan AA, Samuel LT, Khlopas A, Sodhi N, Bhowmik-Stoker M, Chen A, Orozco F, Kolisek F, Mahoney O, Smith L, Malkani A. Robotic-arm assisted total knee arthroplasty more accurately restored the posterior condylar offset ratio and the Insall-Salvati Index compared to the manual technique; a cohort-matched study. Surg Technol Int. 2019 May 1;34(409):e13.
50. Liow MH, Xia Z, Wong MK, Tay KJ, Yeo SJ, Chin PL. Robot-assisted total knee arthroplasty accurately restores the joint line and mechanical axis. A prospective randomised study. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2014 Dec 1;29(12):2373-7.
51. Khlopas A, Chughtai M, Hampp EL, Scholl LY, Prieto M, Chang TC, Abbasi A, Bhowmik-Stoker M, Otto J, Jacofsky DJ, Mont MA. Robotic-Arm Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty Demonstrated Soft Tissue Protection. Surgical technology international. 2017 Jul 1;30:441-6.
52. Abdel MP, Ledford CK, Kobic A, Taunton MJ, Hanssen AD. Contemporary failure aetiologies of the primary, posterior stabilised total knee arthroplasty. The Bone & Joint Journal. 2017 May;99(5):647-52.
53. Kutzner I, Bender A, Dymke J, Duda G, Von Roth P, Bergmann G. Mediolateral force distribution at the knee joint shifts across activities and is driven by tibiofemoral alignment. The bone & joint journal. 2017 Jun;99(6):779-87.
54. Haddad FS. Evolving techniques: the need for better technology.
The Bone & Joint Journal. 2017 Feb;99(2):145-6.
55. Siebert W, Mai S, Kober R, Heeckt PF. Technique and first clinical results of robot-assisted total knee replacement. The Knee. 2002 Sep 1;9(3):173-80.
56. Kayani B, Konan S, Tahmassebi J, Rowan FE, Haddad FS. An assessment of early functional rehabilitation and hospital discharge in conventional versus robotic-arm assisted unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: a prospective cohort study. Bone Joint J. 2019 Jan;101(1):24-33.
57. Song EK, Seon JK, Yim JH, Netravali NA, Bargar WL. Robotic-assisted TKA reduces postoperative alignment outliers and improves gap balance compared to conventional TKA. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®. 2013 Jan;471(1):118-26.
58. Song EK, Seon JK, Park SJ, Jung WB, Park HW, Lee GW. Simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty with robotic and conventional techniques: a prospective, randomized study. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2011 Jul;19(7):1069- 76.
59. Liow MH, Goh GS, Wong MK, Chin PL, Tay DK, Yeo SJ. Robotic-assisted total knee arthroplasty may lead to improvement in quality of- life measures: a 2-year follow-up of a prospective randomized trial. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2017 Sep;25(9):2942-51.
60. Yang HY, Seon JK, Shin YJ, Lim HA, Song EK. Robotic total knee arthroplasty with a cruciate-retaining implant: a 10-year follow-up study. Clinics in Orthopedic Surgery. 2017 Jun 1;9(2):169-76.
61. Cho KJ, Seon JK, Jang WY, et al. Robotic versus conventional primary total knee arthroplasty: clinical and radiological long-term results with a minimum follow-up of ten years. Int Orthop 2019. Jun;43(6):1345-1354.
62. Cotter EJ, Wang J, Illgen RL. Comparative cost analysis of robotic-assisted and jig-based manual primary total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of Knee Surgery. 2022 Jan;35(02):176-84.
63. Sharkey PF, Lichstein PM, Shen C, Tokarski AT, Parvizi J. Why are total knee arthroplasties failing today—has anything changed after 10 years?. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2014 Sep 1;29(9):1774-8.
64. Blyth M, Jones B, MacLean A, Rowe P. Two-year results of a randomized trial of robotic surgical assistance vs manual unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. InAnnual Meeting of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons 2017 Nov.
65. Pearle AD, van der List JP, Lee L, Coon TM, Borus TA, Roche MW. Survivorship and patient satisfaction of robotic-assisted medial unicompartmental knee arthroplasty at a minimum two-year follow-up. The Knee. 2017 Mar 1;24(2):419-28.
66. Pastides P, Nathwani D. The role of newer technologies in knee arthroplasty. Orthopaedics and Trauma. 2017 Feb 1;31(1):47-52.
67. Bellman R. An introduction to artificial intelligence: can computers think?. Thomson Course Technology; 1978.
68. Ahuja AS. The impact of artificial intelligence in medicine on the future role of the physician. PeerJ. 2019 Oct 4;7:e7702.
69. Myers TG, Ramkumar PN, Ricciardi BF, Urish KL, Kipper J, Ketonis C. Artificial intelligence and orthopaedics: an introduction for clinicians. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume. 2020 May 6;102(9):830.
70. Batailler C, Shatrov J, Sappey-Marinier E, Servien E, Parratte S, Lustig S. Artificial intelligence in knee arthroplasty: the current concept of the available clinical applications. Arthroplasty. 2022 Dec;4(1):1-6.
71. Purnomo G, Yeo SJ, Liow MH. Artificial intelligence in arthroplasty. Arthroplasty. 2021 Dec;3(1):1-7.
72. Noonan VK, Lyddiatt A, Ware P, Jaglal SB, Riopelle RJ, Bingham III CO, Figueiredo S, Sawatzky R, Santana M, Bartlett SJ, Ahmed S. Montreal Accord on Patient-Reported Outcomes (PROs) use series–Paper 3: patient-reported outcomes can facilitate shared decision-making and guide self-management. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2017 Sep 1;89:125-35.
73. Paul HY, Wei J, Kim TK, Sair HI, Hui FK, Hager GD, Fritz J, Oni JK. Automated detection & classification of knee arthroplasty using deep learning. The Knee. 2020 Mar 1;27(2):535-42.
74. Shah RF, Bini SA, Martinez AM, Pedoia V, Vail TP. Incremental inputs improve the automated detection of implant loosening using machine-learning algorithms. The Bone & Joint Journal. 2020 Jun;102(6 Supple A):101-6.
75. Kazarian GS, Lawrie CM, Barrack TN, Donaldson MJ, Miller GM, Haddad FS, Barrack RL. The impact of surgeon volume and training status on implant alignment in total knee arthroplasty. JBJS. 2019 Oct 2;101(19):1713-23.
76. Goh GS, Lohre R, Parvizi J, Goel DP. Virtual and augmented reality for surgical training and simulation in knee arthroplasty. Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery. 2021 Dec;141(12):2303-12.
77. Chand M, Ramachandran N, Stoyanov D, Lovat L. Robotics, artificial intelligence and distributed ledgers in surgery: data is key!. Techniques in Coloproctology. 2018 Sep;22(9):645-8.
78. Zhou XY, Guo Y, Shen M, Yang GZ. Application of artificial intelligence in surgery. Frontiers of medicine. 2020 Aug;14(4):417- 30.
79. Panesar S, Cagle Y, Chander D, Morey J, Fernandez-Miranda J, Kliot M. Artificial intelligence and the future of surgical robotics. Annals of surgery. 2019 Aug 1;270(2):223-6.
80. Chiang CY, Chen KH, Liu KC, Hsu SJ, Chan CT. Data collection and analysis using wearable sensors for monitoring knee range of motion after total knee arthroplasty. Sensors. 2017 Feb 22;17(2):418.
81. Kang K, Geng Q, Xu HT, Zheng XZ, Dong JT, Li T, Zhao ZG, Gao SJ. Clinical study of a new wearable device for rehabilitation after total knee arthroplasty. Zhonghua yi xue za zhi. 2018 Apr 1;98(15):1162-5.
82. Kline PW, Melanson EL, Sullivan WJ, Blatchford PJ, Miller MJ, Stevens-Lapsley JE, Christiansen CL. Improving physical activity through adjunct telerehabilitation following total knee arthroplasty: randomized controlled trial protocol. Physical therapy. 2019 Jan 1;99(1):37-45.
83. Wang S, Summers RM. Machine learning and radiology. Medical image analysis. 2012 Jul 1;16(5):933-51.
84. Deo RC. Machine learning in medicine. Circulation. 2015 Nov 17;132(20):1920-30.
85. Azuma RT. A survey of augmented reality. Presence: teleoperators & virtual environments. 1997 Aug 1;6(4):355-85.
86. Vávra P, Roman J, Zonča P, Ihnát P, Němec M, Kumar J, Habib N, El-Gendi A. Recent development of augmented reality in surgery: a review. Journal of healthcare engineering. 2017 Aug 21;2017.
87. Chytas D, Malahias MA, Nikolaou VS. Augmented reality in orthopaedics: current state and future directions. Frontiers in Surgery. 2019 Jun 27;6:38.
88. Nikou C, Digioia III AM, Blackwell M, Jaramaz B, Kanade T. Augmented reality imaging technology for orthopaedic surgery. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2000 Jan 1;10(1):82-6.
89. Blackwell M, Morgan F, DiGioia III AM. Augmented reality and its future in orthopaedics. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (1976-2007). 1998 Sep 1;354:111-22.
90. Navab N, Heining SM, Traub J. Camera augmented mobile C-arm (CAMC): calibration, accuracy study, and clinical applications. IEEE transactions on medical imaging. 2009 May 26;29(7):1412- 23.
91. Fallavollita P, Wang L, Weidert S, Navab N. Augmented reality in orthopaedic interventions and education. InComputational radiology for orthopaedic interventions 2016 (pp. 251-269). Springer, Cham.
92. Fallavollita P, Brand A, Wang L, Euler E, Thaller P, Navab N, Weidert S. An augmented reality C-arm for intraoperative assessment of the mechanical axis: a preclinical study. International Journal of computer-assisted radiology and surgery. 2016 Nov;11(11):2111-7.
93. Pokhrel S, Alsadoon A, Prasad PW, Paul M. A novel augmented reality (AR) scheme for knee replacement surgery by considering cutting error accuracy. The international journal of medical robotics and computer-assisted surgery. 2019 Feb;15(1):e1958.
94. Pokhrel S, Alsadoon A, Prasad PW, Paul M. A novel augmented reality (AR) scheme for knee replacement surgery by considering cutting error accuracy. The international journal of medical robotics and computer-assisted surgery. 2019 Feb;15(1):e1958.
95. Gerrand C. CORR Insights®: can augmented reality be helpful in pelvic bone cancer surgery? An in vitro study. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2018 Sep;476(9):1726.
|How to Cite this article: Mukartihal R, Das R, Chandan S, Bhat VGK, Nallabolu B, Sreedhish K, Bharath K S, Patil SS | Technologies in Total Knee Arthroplasty| Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association | January-February 2023; 11(1): 05-12. https://doi.org/10.13107/jkoa.2023.v11i01.057|