A Case Report of Posterior Interrosseous Nerve Syndrome Due to Intermuscular Lipoma
Vol. 11 | Issue 1 | January-February 2023 | Page: 20-22 | Nirath S Hegde, Edward L Nazareth, Shashiraj K Shetty, Shashank S
Authors: Nirath S Hegde , Edward L Nazareth , Shashiraj K Shetty , Shashank S 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Srinivas Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Mukka, Mangalore, Karnataka, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Nirath S Hegde
Department of Orthopaedics, Srinivas Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Mukka, Mangalore, Karnataka, India.
Posterior interosseous nerve compressions are rare. The compression of the posterior interosseous nerve can happen either before, or through or after the course of the nerve in the supinator muscle. Tumors could rarely lead to secondary compression of the nerve by mass effect. We describe a case of a lady aged 73 years with a posterior interosseous nerve syndrome due to an intermuscular lipoma. The patient had appreciable recovery after surgery and physiotherapy.
Keywords: Intermuscular lipoma, Posterior interosseous nerve, Compression.
1. Avram R, Hynes NM: Posterior interosseous nerve compression secondary to a parosteal lipoma: Case report and literature review. Can J PlastSurg 12:69–72, 2004.
2. Borman P, Tuncay F, Ulusoy G, Koçer U: Posterior interosseous nerve syndrome due to lipoma. NeurophysiolClin 40:189–191, 2010.
3. El Hyaoui H, Hassoun J, Garch A, Kassimi H, El Fatimi A: Compression of the posterior interosseous nerve by a deep lipoma. Joint Bone Spine 81:265, 2014.
4. Ishikawa H, Hirohata K (1990) Posterior interosseous nerve syndrome associated with rheumatoid synovial cysts of the elbowjoint. ClinOrthopRelat Res 254:134–139.
5. Bowen TL, Stone KH (1966) Posterior interosseous nerve paralysis caused by a ganglion at the elbow. J Bone Joint Surg Br48:774–776.
6. Valer A, Carrera L, Ramirez G (1993) Myxoma causing paralysisof the posterior interosseous nerve. ActaOrthopBelg 59:423–425.
7. Taniguchi Y, Yoshida M, Tamaki T (1999) Posterior interosseousnerve syndrome due to pseudogout. J Hand Surg Br 24:125–127.
8. De Smet L (2005) Posterior interosseous neuropathy due to compression by a soft tissue chondroma of the elbow. Actaneurol Belg105:86–88.
9. Mackinnon SE, Dellon AL, Hudson AR, Hunter DA: Chronic nerve compression—an experimental model in the rat. Ann PlastSurg 13:112–120, 1984.
10. Werner CO. Paralysis of the posterior interosseous nerve caused by tumour: brief report. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British volume. 1987 Aug;69(4):670-1.
11. Berry JB, Richard MH (1973) Parosteal lipoma producing paralysis of the deep radial nerve. South Med J 66:1298–1300.
|How to Cite this article: Hegde NS, Nazareth EL, Shetty SK, Shashank S | A Case Report of Posterior Interrosseous Nerve Syndrome Due to Intermuscular Lipoma | Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association| January-February 2023; 11(1): 20-22 | https://doi.org/10.13107/jkoa.2023.v11i01.060|