Treatment of Comminuted Fracture of the Inferior Pole of Patella Using Encirclage and Patellar Tendon Repair Using Transosseous Sutures” – A Prospective Study of 20 Cases
Vol. 9 | Issue 1 | January-February 2021 | Page: 26-29 | Sunil Kumar P C, Varun Kumar N R
Authors: Sunil Kumar P C , Varun Kumar N R 
 Department of Orthoapedics, Mysore Medical College and Research Insititute Mysuru, Karnataka, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Varun kumar N R,
Postgraduate Resident, Department of Orthopaedics,
Mysore medical college and research institute, Mysuru, Karnataka, India.
Objective: The objective of the study was to evaluate the functional outcome of comminuted extra-articular inferior pole fractures of patella treated with patellar encirclage and patellar tendon repair by transosseous sutures.
Materials and Methods: In this prospective study between November 2018 and January 2020, we treated 20 patients with this method for inferior pole patella fractures, 14 were male and 6 were female. Postoperatively, the knee was immobilized in a knee brace with quadriceps strengthening advised. Flexion is restricted in the first 2 weeks; then, every week, the knee flexion was increased in 20–30°/week till 6 weeks postoperatively. Later, after 6 weeks, knee flexion is increased furthermore.
Results: Results at final follow-up were assessed using Bostman scoring system. Average Bostman score was 25.6. Excellent results were seen in 65% of cases. Two patients had an episode of superficial infection. There were no reports of other complications and almost all patients returned to their pre-injury activity level.
Conclusion: Patellar encirclage and patellar tendon repair using transosseous sutures are a very effective method in the management of comminuted extra-articular inferior pole patella fractures which are not normally amenable to conventional fixation methods. It is simple and easy to perform with reproducible excellent results with no hardware-related complications. Further studies are required to validate this technique with a larger sample size and controls.
Keywords: Inferior pole patella, Comminuted, Transosseous, Patellar tendon repair.
1. Sutton FS Jr., Thompson CH, Lipke J, Kettelkamp DB. The effect of patellectomy on knee function. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1976;58:537-40.
2. Kaufer H. Mechanical function of the patella. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1971;53:1551-60.
3. Melvin JS, Mehta S. Patellar fractures in adults. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2011;19:198-207.
4. Gwinner C, Märdian S, Schwabe P, Schaser KD, Krapohl BD, Jung TM. Current concepts review: Fractures of the patella. GMS Interdiscip Plast Reconstr Surg DGPW 2016;5:Doc01.
5. Kastelec M, Veselko M. Inferior patellar pole avulsion fractures: Osteosynthesis compared with pole resection. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004;86:696-701.
6. Müller ME, Allgöwer M, Schneider R, Willenegger H. Manual of Internal Fixation: Techniques Recommended by the AO-ASIF Group. Berlin: Springer; 1991.
7. Srikant K, Mishra D, Sinha VK, Pradhan S. Management of comminuted extra articular inferior pole patella fractures with partial patellectomy and patellar tendon repair by transosseous sutures. Int J Med Sci Public Health 2017;6:1578-83.
8. Fletcher C. Comminuted fractures of the lower pole of the patella-to fix or resect? A case report and review of the literature. EC Orthop 2015;2:54-9.
9. Böstman O, Kiviluoto O, Santavirta S, Nirhamo J, Wilppula E. Fractures of the patella treated by operation. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1983;102:78-81.
10. Scolaro J, Bernstein J, Ahn J. Patellar fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2011;469:1213-5.
11. Joshi RR, Dwivedi R, Byanjankar S, Shrestha R. Outcome of inferior patellar pole avulsion fractures: A comparative study. J Lumbini Med Coll 2016;4:84-9.
12. Chang SM, Ji XL. Open reduction and internal fixation of displaced patella inferior pole fractures with anterior tension band wiring through cannulated screws. J Orthop Trauma 2011;25:366-70.
13. Saltzman CL, Goulet JA, McClellan RT, Schneider LA, Matthews LS. Results of treatment of displaced patellar fractures by partial patellectomy. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1990;72:1279-85.
14. Andrews JR, Hughston JC. Treatment of patellar fractures by partial patellectomy. South Med J 1977;70:809-13, 817.
15. Iqbal MZ, Ch RA, Ch AA, Azeem M, Ch NA. Comparison of outcome of fractures of inferior pole of patella. J Sheikh Zayed Med Coll 2015;7:900-3.
16. Veselko M, Kastelec M. Inferior patellar pole avulsion fractures: Osteosynthesis compared with pole resection. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005;87:113-21.
17. Gupta AK, Agarwal R, Singh V, Meena RL. Fixation of extra-articular fracture of the inferior pole of the patella by on needle stainless steel suture wire. Sch J Appl Med Sci 2016;4:186-8.
18. Marder RA, Swanson TV, Sharkey NA, Duwelius PJ. Effects of partial patellectomy and reattachment of the patellar tendon on patellofemoral contact areas and pressures. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1993;75:35-45.
19. Lu H, Qin L, Lee K, Wong W, Chan K, Leung K. Healing compared between bone to tendon and cartilage to a tendon in a partial inferior patellectomy model in rabbits. Clin J Sport Med 2008;18:62-9.
|How to Cite this article: Kumar PCS, Kumar NRV | Treatment of Comminuted Fracture of the Inferior Pole of Patella Using Encirclage and Patellar Tendon Repair Using Transosseous Sutures” – A Prospective Study of 20 Cases. | Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association | January- February 2021; 9(1): 26-29.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!