Volume 8 | Issue 2 | Aug – Sep 2020 | Page: 34-36 | Bikkasani Rakesh, Ravindra Mohan Shenoy
Authors: Bikkasani Rakesh , Ravindra Mohan Shenoy 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Yenepoya Medical college, Derlakatte, Mangalore karnataka, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Bikkasani Rakesh,
Department of Orthopaedics, Yenepoya Medical college, Derlakatte, Mangalore karnataka, India.
Palmaris Longus is considered to be a vestigial tendon and often used as a graft for reconstructive surgery. The tests described for its identification are a bit complex . The postures of the hand adopted during the tests are not easily understood by the patient. Further, it is not possible to perform these tests in a patient with Claw hand. Validated herewith are two new, recently described tests (1) Bunched finger test (2) Hooked finger test which are easy to perform and found to be very useful in detecting Palmaris Longus. Ultrasound is used as a tool for validation. Hooked finger test can demonstrate Palmaris Longus even in the presence of Claw hand.
Keywords: Palmaris Longus, Bunched Finger test, Hooked Finger test.
1. Sebastian SJ, Lim AY, Bee WH, Wong TC, Methil BV. Does the absence of the palmaris longus affect grip and pinch strength? J Hand Surg Br 2005;30:406-8.
2. Thompson JW, McBatts J, Danforth CH. Hereditary and racial variation in the musculus palmaris longus. Am J Phys Anthropol 1921;4:205-18.
3. Schaeffer JP. On the variations of the palmarislongus muscle. Anat Rec 1909;3:275-8.
4. Shenoy RM. Two new clinical tests for palmaris longus. Indian J Plast Surg 2018;51:321‐3.
5. Kigera JW, Mukwaya S. Clinical Assessment of the Palmaris Longus–Accuracy of common tests. Annals of African Surgery. 2012;9(2).
6. Machado AB, DiDio LJ. Frequency of the Musculus palmaris longus studied in vivo in some amazon Indians. Am J Phys Anthropol 1967;27:11-20.
7. Reimann AF, Daseler EH, Anson BJ, Beaton LE. The palmaris longus muscle and tendon. A study of 1600 extremities. Anat Rec 1944;89:495-505.
|How to Cite this article: Rakesh B, Shenoy RM | Validation of “Bunched Finger and Hooked Finger Tests, Two New Tests For Palmaris Longus”| Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association | August-September 2020; 8(2): 34-36.|