Volume 8 | Issue 2 | Aug – Sep 2020 | Page: 46-48 | Uday Kumar Guled
Authors: Uday Kumar Guled 
 Department of Orthopaedics, S Nijalingappa Medical College ,Bagalkot, Karnataka, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Udaykumar Guled
Assistant professor , S Nijalingappa Medical College ,Bagalkot, Karnataka, India.
Spinal anesthesia is one of the most common anesthetic procedure performed in operative cases . Neurological deficit is an uncommon but catastrophic complication of spinal anesthesia. Epidural hematoma is the most common cause of such neurological deficit. Unidentified bleeding and clotting disorders increase the risk. On detection such complications need close monitoring. Though many cases can be managed conservatively, progressive deficit warrants quick decompression of spinal canal.
Keywords: Epidural hematoma, Paraparesis, Spinal anesthesia, Laminectomy.
1. Vandam. On the origins of intrathecal anaethesia. Int Anaesthesiol Clin 1989; 27: 2-7.
2. Kreppel D, Antoniadis G, Seeling W. Spinal hematoma: a literature survey with meta-analysis of 613 patients. Neurosurg Rev 2003;26:1-49
3. Berges PU. Regional anaesthesia for obstetrics. Clincanaesth 1969: 2; 141
4. Brown MW, Yilmaz TS, Kasper EM. Iatrogenic spinal hematoma as a complication of lumbar puncture: What is the risk and best management plan? SurgNeurol Int. 2016 Aug 29;7(Suppl 22):S581-9.
5. A, Yu A, Kaminski A. Anesthetic Complications in Pregnancy. Critical Care Clinic. 2016 Jan;32(1):1-28.
6. Ruppen W, Derry S, Mcquay H, Moore RA. Incidence of epidural hematoma, infection, amd neurologic injury in obstetric patients with epidural analgesia/ anesthesia. Anesthesiology2006;105:394-9
7. Guffey PJ, Mckay WR, Mckay RE. Epidural hematoma nine daysafter removal of a labor epidural catheter. AnesthAnalg2010;111:992-5
8. Tailor J, Dunn IF, Smith E. Conservative treatment of spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma associated with oral anticoagulant therapy in a child. Childs Nerv Syst 2006; 22: 1643-5.
9. Silber SH. Complete nonsurgical resolution of a spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma. Am J Emerg Med 1996; 14: 391-3.
|How to Cite this article: Guled U K| Acute Paraparesis Secondary to Epidural Hematoma Caused by Spinal Anesthesia Given for Lower Segment Caesarean Section | Journal of Karnataka Orthopaedic Association | August-September 2020; 8(2): 46-48.|